Dear Parents/Guardians and Students:
It is with great pleasure that I welcome you to Seneca Falls Middle School, as part of our educational family, to the 2020-2021 school year.
A new school year is always an exciting time for all. It presents opportunities for various beginnings – new classes, new faces, sometimes new courses, new expectations, a busier schedule, more choices and often new materials. The next three years are a time for growth, challenge, and adventure. Your child’s time at SFMS will be exciting and filled with many new opportunities.
Middle school is a time of a change. The workloads and social adjustments are greater here than at the elementary level. The campus is larger, there are more students, and your child will now have multiple teachers throughout the day. At the beginning of each school year, parents frequently ask questions about what they can do to support their child during the middle school years. Middle school can be challenging at times, but there are several simple things that will help students achieve success.
Parents, please take time to:
- Talk to your child about their school day. Ask them specific questions about their time at school. For example, “What was the most interesting thing you did in math class today?” or “Tell me about your science experiment?”
- Check “Homework Hotline”. Homework Hotline is accessed through the school website. It is updated daily by 12:00pm.
- Review your child’s grades on SchoolTool, which is also accessed through the school website. SchoolTool will give you relevant information regarding your child’s performance on their homework, a test or quiz as well as their attendance. Your interest and concern in their school progress will motivate them to do their best.
- Maintain contact with your child’s teachers and staff members to establish a successful home/school connection. All of our teachers have school email and many have classroom websites with their contact information, homework assignments, and useful resources.
Students, here are some tips to help you get started with your transition:
- Make reminders and plan ahead.
- Use your school planner/agenda.
- Make time for homework and assignments.
- Check your grades frequently on SchoolTool.
- Break big projects into smaller ones.
- Prepare the night before.
- Get involved at school. Join a club or participate in intramural sports.
Our goal is to challenge your child academically, grow them socially and emotionally, and guide them toward independent thinking and problem-solving. Students will be encouraged to display good character and to make good choices that will result in successful outcomes. We are looking forward to a great school year filled with enriching activities and learning experiences that will help your child display “Blue Devil Pride!”
Our school learning community is strengthened by our partnerships. The active participation of students, staff, families, and community organizations is essential for our continued success. I encourage you all to join and be active in our PTO. Our PTO supports several educational activities throughout the school year.
We are looking forward to a positive, upbeat school year at SFMS. I encourage all students to stand up to mistreatment, vandalism, and anything you know is not right. Remind yourself you do not have to follow the crowd. Be yourself and even when no one is watching, do the right thing. Parents, please help us by reinforcing school expectations at home. With your help, SFMS will continue to be a school community in which every person feels respected, valued, is encouraged and challenged to achieve at the highest levels.
I look forward to working with you and your child throughout the school year to provide a productive and safe learning environment that supports student success. Once again, welcome to Seneca Falls Middle School.